Sunday, August 21, 2011

Nocturne in E-flat Major

I got a chance to play along with the current Stampsmith Challenge and this one is based on a sketch that you can see on the challenge blog post. I haven't worked much with sketches, and thanks to Lynne's inspiration, I flipped the sketch. I should confess that I drew out the sketch and had it on my table upside down and thought - hey, the big circle could be silvery moonlight and I went from there! I used a flapper photo stamp from the Stampsmith and added some lace to one side so it was more of a square shape like the sketch. I also wanted some Art Deco style patterns as in the vertical strip and my circle. That circle - or the moon - is actually silver paint sponged through a damask template overlayed with a big circle template. The horizontal strip from the template is the lines of music from one of Chopin's Nocturnes - a musical composition inspired by the night. Finally I stamped some subtle text in the background with the circle masked and added a bit of pumice distress ink.

Stamp Credits: the Stampsmith, Basic Grey with Hero Arts, and Paperbag Studio

7 comments:

Valerie H. Marshall said...

What a stunning piece!!! I love your take on the sketch and how you have gone with the nocturnal theme!! The addition of the lace to the main image is sheer brilliance and I love how you have extended the music paper to reach across the entire project! Your stenciled element is to die for! I'm so very glad you've joined us for The Stampsmith Challenge - so beautiful!
Val :)

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful! I haven't even started on mine yet.

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Gorgeous!!

Unknown said...

this is a lovely card and I love your moon. Dxx

Darlene said...

Lovely card I never would have thought to flip the sketch. great idea.

darlene

Jeany said...

this one looks nice to, love the lace and the musik print to. and the circle, so greattttttttttttttt.

Anonymous said...

When I saw this over at TSC I was hoping it would be from you!!! Your style speaks for itself with its elegance and attention to detail.
The circle element is perfection! This is a favourite stamp of mine and I've never seen her look as good as this.
Good Luck with the Prize Draw and so thrilled you joined us.
Wishes
Lynne