Wednesday, August 24, 2011

GC Color Challenge #116 - Primary Colors

The color challenge at Gingersnap Creations for this month's Joys of Childhood theme just had to be primary colors. I used more of my melted crayon glassine paper background (see my post HERE for photos showing how to do it) and stamped on it with jet black Archival ink. I used a vellum adhesive spray to attach it to watercolor paper, but also did a bit of machine stitching to make sure it was securely attached. It's attached to a piece of bookboard covered with 7Gypsies tissue paper.

I really love the textural effect of the melted crayon on the glassine - and all the texture is on the underside, so you have a nice smooth surface for stamping. Here's a close-up:

Since I was revisiting my childhood and playing with crayons, I also decided to play with some clay - paper clay actually - and made it into buttons.

After rolling it out...
...I stamped into it with a stamp inked with Ranger's Adirondack pigment ink - using primary colors of course ;-)...

...cut circles using a piece of copper pipe and a bottle lid....

and pricked them with a skewer creating buttons.

After an overnight drying time, they're ready to attach.

So that's my piece made with primary colors - I hope you're inspired to create something fun and maybe bring back some childhood memories of your own. Enter the challenge at the GC blog post HERE - the challenge is open until Sep. 25th.

Stamp credits: Stampers Anonymous

14 comments:

Healing Woman said...

You seem to have an endless supply of unique art ideas. The paper clay buttons are great.

Debbie K. said...

Great piece, Penny. Just ADORE the buttons you created. Fabulous idea!
- DebbieK

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Fantastic card, wonderful background technique and the buttons look fabulous.

Anonymous said...

I've never used paper clay, only ever made buttons from air dry clay.
These are a triumph.
I have to say that primary colours never looked so good.
Lynne x

Jeany said...

wowwowwowwow, your card, again so beautiful, the colours are working totally good. And those paper clay bottoms, magnificent. what is paper clay, is that what can be used with doll making? And how do you dry it, just in the air?

Have a great day and week, big hug from Janine

trisha too said...

Penny, your piece is wonderful, but I am lovin' those buttons!!!!

:)

Ali Manning said...

your card is breathtaking, Penny - I must check out that technique. And your buttons are to die for!

Cynthia Schelzig said...

what a super card! love that stamp of the girl and her dog. really cooool buttons you made toooooo!

Anonymous said...

Those buttons are too cool and I love your color transition on your background.

Jean Franks Beck said...

This piece is absolutely stunning! I must admit I was stumped by the primary color challenge until I saw the DT's work - I love how you've softened the whole color scheme. And those buttons..... *swoooon*!

Debbie said...

Love your beautiful creation! Those buttons are awesome! What a fabulous technique!

Rika said...

Those buttons are wonderful,
thanks for sharing!

Struinkunst by Lisette said...

That is gorgeous! I have done something like that with porcelain doll clay but this is just lovely!! Thanks for sharing.

Anita &/or Char said...

I am new in your following. So I am perusing older posts & had to comment on these buttons... I LOVE buttons... thanks for sharing