Friday, August 19, 2011

Bright and Beautiful

As promised, here's what you can do with the melted crayon glassine paper. (See yesterday's post HERE if you'd like to see the technique.) I've stamped on the side opposite the crayons with jet black Archival ink, attached it to white cardstock with a light spray of vellum adhesive, then machine stitched it to make sure it stayed. To complete the collage, I stamped two flourishes onto script patterned paper and cut out around them in spots with an x-acto knife creating a nice way to hold the glassine panel to the rest of the card. I'm entering this into the Crafty Individuals August Challenge where the theme is "Bright and Beautiful" - I hope US entries are OK - and honestly, it was just coincidence that the same Helen Chilton who inspired the crayon paper also set the challenge theme - but a fun coincidence indeed!

Yesterday I had a question about what exactly is glassine - it's very similar to wax paper that 's used in the kitchen, but rather than being food safe, it's archival. You can see it in old books opposite an illustration to protect it, and artists will also use it to protect paintings done with acrylics or pastels when they need to be transported or stored.

So that still leaves me with another piece of crayon paper to play with......you'll just have to visit me again tomorrow to see what I've made ;-)

Stamp credits: Crafty Individuals stamps: CI-121 and CI-182

10 comments:

Jeany said...

wowwwwwwwwwwww, I love it, what a great piece you made with it, just loving it. Ihh, and i'm so want to work on this technique again, hahaa, but I have to make boxes now for an expidition, so.. ☻ now crayons for me for now. Butttttttttttttttt like I said I'll love this art work off you!! Have a great weekend. hugs Janine

Anonymous said...

Penny
Jean will love this!!!!
You used the brights so beautifully, not garish at all, in your hands they are restrained and elegant.
Gorgeous use of the CI stamps.
Wishes
Lynne

Siobhan Fyffe said...

I love this piece. The vibrant background work brilliantly with the teasel stamp and the flourishes just pull it all together!
Siobhan

Cynthia Schelzig said...

ooooh me tooo wwwoooooowww I love it too. Just a gorgeous piece!

Lori said...

Absolutely brilliant! Love it!

Jean Hardy said...

This is a beautiful card Penny and I certainly do love it! Thanks for joining in the CI Challenge. Jean

Createology said...

This is beautiful. Your crayon work reminds me of teaching art lab for the elementary school teachers and we ironed crayons onto muslin, paper and anything else we could get our hands on. Of course that was decades ago. It is so good to see you doing this and making it elegant and current. Fabulous Friday...

Anonymous said...

So pretty! Love that image!

Karen said...

Gorgeous! I love the bright colours, and the way you've balanced it with the white space and striking black image really brings it all together. Wonderful!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Fantastic card, love the background and the wonderful image.