Monday, May 30, 2011

The Fair Maid of Perth

This project is a faux altered book - I used several signatures from a vintage book sandwiched between two 7Gypsies book covers and cut a niche after gluing the whole thing together. I added an image from Enchanted Mercantile, snippets of vintage lace - the larger piece's flowers are accented with distress inks and the others are tatted lace bits I've been hoarding because I love its delicate look. The depth of the niche allowed me to add paper flowers to the inside and have them spill out onto the outside. If you look closely, you'll see the background text page is entitled "The Fair Maid of Perth". The serendipty of finding this page inspired the whole project which I sent off to my friend in Perth, Scotland - Happy Birthday, Lynne!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Penny
As I said in my e-mail I will never in my lifetime receive a gift that is so personal.
This morning when I came downstairs it was the first thing that caught my eye and it's beauty hit me all over again.
It's so difficult to put into words exactly how I feel about it's beauty but also that a friend would go to so much trouble to make such perfect art for me. This I will never forget.
Wishes & Thanks
Lynne

Jeany said...

Penny, this is so lovely, the little roses, and the details in the background, so beautifull!!

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. I see the Fair Maid of Perth is showing off her naked shoulder, lol.
Jack xx

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Love the stacked lace. I would have never known it was faux. Awesome!