Sunday, January 9, 2011

Compendium of Curiosities #26

For this week's Compendium of Curiosities challenge the technique is "Rusted Grunge" and you can see it on the hinges of my little faux notebook. Since the hinges were reminiscent of fleur de lis, I thought I'd use these Paris themed 7Gypsies bookboard covers I've been saving. Does the faux notebook have you intrigued? Just pull on the little ribbon piece and it opens...

Inside you see Mrs. Brown-Potter touring the Eiffel Tower! (Both images are from French Kissed, bien sûr) You can also see another rusted grunge element on the chipboard scroll. I found that I could cut out a center window on the top cover and by using a gaffer tape piece as the front hinge, once the grungeboard hinges were attached to the top and bottom covers it would open quite nicely. I also cut a piece of corrugated cardboard the same size as the remaining window frame to sandwich between the covers to give me depth to work with inside - wouldn't want to smoosh Mrs. B-P when the window closed ;-)

12 comments:

Netty said...

Hi Penny never seen these book covers before and yours is total magic, so love this. I wonder if you will turn this into a tutorial as am intrigued how that ribbon works.......Brilliant. Annette x

Lori said...

This is a gorgeous piece of vintage art, Penny! Love those hinges, and the inside is fab!

Liesbeth Fidder said...

Wow, this is really brilliant, Penny ! Great work !

Jolanda said...

What a gorgeous piece - I love it - the outside is great and what a wonderful surprise when you open it!!

Jeany said...

wauw, how wonderful, i love this one. It is so beautifull made. best wishes from janine

2amscrapper said...

so creative!

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Hi Penny. Books, Paris, Femmes, these are a few of my favourite things LOL. Trishia will flip when she sees this. Lynne x

Trishia said...

Lynne, you are so right! I was taken by the cover alone and then when I saw the inside --- I'm screaming "I want one, I want one!"
Penny, this is SOOOOO wonderful. Absolutely magical. Instant time machine in a book. YOu need to patent this:) Merci beacoup!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! That's breathtaking Penny!

Linda Ledbetter said...

Penny, this is such a wonderful faux notebook! The rusted grunge looks great on the hinges and the Paris theme is lovely. This looks like a beautiful vintage passport cover, actually, and what a fun idea that would be!

The inside is just as lovely, with the elegant lady and her pretty flourish. You designed this so beautifully and thoughtfully, and it's a stellar work of art!

Shelly Hickox said...

Truly a gorgeous piece!! Your work never fails to amaze me.

Debbie K. said...

Incredibly gorgeous and very, very creative, Penny. Just love it:)